Thursday, September 25, 2014

Outdoor Photography Hack - Washer & Cord Tripod Plate Tightener

Using a washer and cord to tighten tripod plate

I'll admit, this hack is not the sexiest, most complicated, or most elegant, but I use it EVERY time I shoot in the backcountry (or anywhere else for that matter.) This "hack" is nothing more than attaching a washer to your camera strap with a piece of cord to avoid being caught in the field without a way to tighten your tripod mounting plate. I discovered I needed this when I was on a backpacking trip and realized I did not have any coins in my pocket or any keys with me (my friend had driven, so I left my keys in the car.) I did manage to use the back of my pocket knife blade, but it wasn't a good fit and was unnecessarily cumbersome. Having a tightening "device" always close at hand has proven absurdly convenient.


Tripod tightening hack with cord and washer
Because I use a small travel tripod to save weight (the Slik Sprint Pro II reviewed here) with a somewhat odd lens/body combination, I probably have to tighten my plate more than many. The vast majority of the time I'm using the relatively heavy Canon 17-40L lens with the very light Canon T3 body (don't laugh, it gets the job done for still landscape work and is very lightweight). This combination of a heavy lens and light body make the camera especially susceptible to rotational force, thereby unscrewing the tension of the tripod plate frequently. Thanks to the washer hack, I just give it quick twist at every setup. This hack cost me nothing but a few inches of cord and an old washer I had lying around, and I use it every single time I use my camera. Be sure to burn your cord at the tips to keep from fraying. I also burn my knots a bit so that the outer layer of cord melts enough to adhere to itself preventing slippage.

Related Posts

If you've enjoyed any of the content you've found here, please join me on my social media platforms. This helps support the site. THANKS!

          

No comments:

Post a Comment