Friday, December 20, 2013

Making Due With Awesome

Pond reflections Shelby Park Nashville

awe • some

adjective\ˈȯ-səm\
: causing feelings of fear and wonder : causing feelings of awe
Awesome is an overused word in our current vernacular, certainly by this author. Or... maybe not. The world and everything in it truly is awesome. The mere existence of the universe as we know it, the phenomenon of evolution over millennia, from single celled organisms to our dominant biped mammal species creating iPhones, washing machines, and nuclear bombs, is pretty undeniably awe-inspiring. In short, everything is pretty freaking amazing when one takes the time to consider the miracle of existence. This is an outlook I've tried to embrace as I'm learning and experimenting with nature photography without easy access to undeniably awesome subjects like Yellowstone, Yosemite, or the Grand Canyon. I'm trying to resourcefully use what is easily available to me, challenging myself to notice the he beauty, significance, and power of smaller moments, smaller phenomenon in even my humble little city park only a fifteen minute bike ride from my house.  While my photographs below are not awesome or awe-inspiring, I believe that is purely a limitation of my creativity and technical abilities rather than the subjects I'm shooting. After all, I do find myself mesmerized by the unique twist of an eye-catching vine or the relentless creeping ivy found all around me in the urban green space of East Nashville's Shelby Park. The same wonder could be found in my backyard, no doubt. This world, all of it, is truly awesome with the right perspective.  While I look forward to future trips that might provide breathtaking vistas, abundant wildlife, and powerful natural monuments, I appreciate the never-ending challenge of trying to express the wonder always quietly surrounding. I'm happy to make due with awesome.

Ivy on trees - shelby park nashville

textured log shelby park nashville

fungus on trees shelby park nashville

If you've enjoyed any of the content you've found here, please join me on my social media platforms. This helps support the site. THANKS!

          

No comments:

Post a Comment